Need to turn your bombshell idea into a product? Lynx Innovations is the answer. Our staff helps you convert your dream into a physical product.
We start out by understanding how your device will interact with the outside world.
- Do you need a display? We can help you select a display based upon price, functionality, power consumption etc.
- Do you need buttons? We help you select buttons based upon price, what it feels like, and size.
- Is this a portable product? Batteries are an important consideration. In this case you need to choose how long it can run before being charged, how large it is, and the resulting weight.
- Does it connect to a computer? USB, ethernet, internet, RS232 serial port connections are just some of the available options.
Lynx Innovations believes that time is money and therefore creates a quick prototype board for putting the possiblities into a tangible form. These steps are followed for a successful design.
- The initial concept will be captured on a schematic which is then used to create a circuit board prototype. As new ideas or changes are required, in most cases they can temporarily be tested on this prototype platform. At this point, we also need to start thinking about the mechanical design.
- Firmware can written and tested on this initial prototype platform. We plan the ways that the firmware can be updated during development as well as production. Initial design focuses on getting the basic concept to work and getting that prototype into our customer’s hands. We then begin adding the extra features and finishing touches to the design. As a result of working on the prototype, most of our customers will request changes or additions to the initial idea.
- More focus is placed on the mechanical design at this stage. An enclosure or case is chosen. This will affect the layout of the circuit board. Placement of keypads, buttons, displays, and input/output ports are finalized.
- At this point, we’re ready for a new circuit board. The design changes are made to the schematic and a new circuit board is laid out, created and then built with the appropriate components.
- Finalization of the design is next. With the new circuit board, the finishing touches are added to the product. Diagnostic routines are added to the firmware for production testing.
- The design is turned over to production. Typically a small pilot run of 100 or so pieces irons out the kinks in the production. This pilot run is a sellable product so the customer can start making money at this point. The next step is full-scale production.
If this process sounds good to you, please call us for a consultation. We can talk you through the process and answer any questions you may have. Contact us using the information on our Contact page.
Additional Product Development Links